Close

Search:

VISITING MUSIC TEACHERS

A variety of different music lessons are on offer at the College, from guitar to drums to trumpet. We have a number of visiting music teachers, who are onsite to teach these co-curricular lessons. Please see below for further information on each member of the team.

Ana Borzone (Cello)

Dutch cellist Ana Borzone studied at The International Menuhin Music Academy -Gstaad (IMMA) and the Royal College of Music in London, graduating with a PGDip in performance in 2010. She has toured Europe as a member of the Camerata Lysy and the Junge Deutsche Philharmonie having performed in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Spain and France. Ana has also worked very closely with different string ensembles at Oxford University, namely in Jesus College, St Peter's College and Magdalen College. She taught at The Oxford Cello School in 2008 and has coached the Berkshire's County Youth Orchestra and the Oxford University Philharmonia cello sections. In 2011 she was invited as an academic advisor to mentor the string department at the Austral University in a bi-national orchestral programme between Chile and Argentina. Ana's pupils have performed and won prizes at renowned music festivals in the UK and have successfully joined the Junior Department programmes at different top music Institutions.

Gary Branch (Saxophone, Flute and Clarinet)

Completing his Grade 8 Clarinet at the age of 15, Gary entered Trinity College of Music in London where he was awarded Licentiate of The Guildhall School of Music, London (L.G.S.M.). He then moved to Leeds College of Music at 18 to join their innovative Jazz & Light Music course where he gained his Diploma of Proficiency in Jazz and Light Music (D.P.L.M.).

Gary has worked extensively in both T.V. and theatre, and has played for many of the best-known names in the entertainment industry today. He has been the ‘featured’ saxophonist on recordings for Marti Webb, Dave Willetts, Dame Shirley Bassey, Frankie Vaughn, Norman Wisdom, Anthony Newley, Val Doonican, Stephanie Lawrence, Vince Hill, Ruthie Henshall, Hannah Waddingham, Kerry Ellis and Petula Clark to name but a few!

Jon Brooks (Piano)

Jon studied musical composition alongside Piano and Trombone performance at Leeds University. In addition to Shiplake College, he teaches at Reading Bluecoat, Claires Court, Papplewick and Leighton Park schools.  He enjoys working as a Musical Director for theatre productions which have recently included Wizard of Oz, Sister Act & My Fair Lady. His swing band, the Ding Dong Daddios regularly perform at dance festivals and vintage events around the UK and Europe.

Mike Hartnett (Guitar)

Mike has been teaching guitar and bass professionally since 1996 and has taught both children and adults in a wide range of musical styles. He has taught in numerous schools and institutions, such as Bracknell and Wokingham College and South Hill Park Arts Centre. In 2004, he founded the Berkshire Guitar School and teaches from his recording studio in Bracknell. His teaching style is relaxed and highly structured, and pupils have the opportunity to access a range of learning resources, including chord sheets, backing tracks and videos. There is a real emphasis on learning the practical skills required to perform music to a high level alongside the fundamentals: technical studies, scales, aural training and chords.

Matt Holland (Trumpet)

Matt Holland is a Bachelor of Music and Master of Music degree holder who has spent the past 20 years performing alongside artists such as Van Morrison, Lisa Stansfield, Burt Bacharach and, more recently, Wet Wet Wet. He has also performed on Strictly Come Dancing, Dancing on Ice and The X Factor Final with Robbie Williams. Recent work has included recordings with Roger Daltry, Tanita Tikaram and an appearance in the Hollywood film My Week With Marilyn. Matt enjoys composing and has had some of his work featured on Jazz FM.

Asami Hughes (Piano and Theory)

Asami Hughes is a graduate of Birmingham University. She has also been awarded both a Diploma and Licentiate for piano from the Associated Board of the Royal School of Music (ABRSM). In addition she has attained grade 8 distinction for piano. Asami was brought up in Japan where she learned piano as a small child. Later she studied piano under Fuyuki Yamazaki who was Professor of Music at Tokyo University of Art and Music. Since relocating to the United Kingdom she has taught piano for over ten years to both children and adults, and specialises in classical piano.

Julie Kench (Voice)

Julie was born in Cheshire and studied Music and Drama at Brunel University and then after several years working in Light Entertainment she studied for a Postgraduate Certificate and Advanced Diploma in Performance at Trinity College of Music, London where she holds the 2003 Ricordi Opera Prize. Alongside her various operatic roles, Julie also sings with many choral societies and vocal ensembles around the country performing Oratorio works and running workshops.

In 2004 Julie joined the International Acappella group The Swingle Singers. During her 5 years in the group she toured all over the world. Julie has sung Berio’s Sinfonia with some of the world’s best conductors and orchestras, including Zubin Mehta with Vienna Philharmonic and Antonio Pappano with Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia with whom she also performed at the BBC Proms at the Albert Hall. Julie’s versatility has enabled her to take on singing projects in many genres. She worked alongside composer/beatboxer Shlomo creating the vocal soundtrack to Alfred Hitchcock's Downhill. She works as a session singer with London Voices and Audio Network recording soundtracks and incidental music including the films The Hobbit and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows.

Julie started her teaching career with Berkshire Maestros working in both secondary and Primary schools and since 2009 has worked at Queen Anne’s School in Caversham and The Abbey School, Reading and more recently teaching privately at home.

David 'Piper' Major (Bagpipes)

David ‘PiperMajor’ started the Bagpipes when he was 11 and currently has over 45 years of experience including 20 years with the Scots Guards Association Pipe Band, which included teaching/tutoring new band members. A product of the Northern Ireland Piping School, David has taken his piping certification up to Advanced Level.

He has competed successfully at the highest level in Pipe Band Competitions, and has adjudicated at the World Solo Piping Championships.

He has numerous appearances on radio and TV and his piping has taken him worldwide including Canada, Sri Lanka, Germany and Belgium.

His list of engagements includes Hootenanny with Jools Holland, The Royal Tournament (in the presence of HRH The Queen & Prince Phillip), Beating Retreat at Horseguards (in the presence of various members of the Royal Family), Regimental Events & Dinners, Metropolitan Police (Hendon Police College and New Scotland Yard), Horse of the Year Show, New Year’s Eve at Le Manoir Aux Quat Saisons, The Royal Albert Hall  on occasions such as the Opening night of the Proms  and shows (for example with Sir Cliff Richard) and numerous corporate events for clients such as P & O Ferries, Bank of England, Barclays Bank, Guinness/United Distillers & Vintners Ltd and City of London Guild Liveries as well as Charity events.

Patrick Moore (Guitar and Bass Guitar)

Patrick began his musical education with classical studies on ‘cello and trombone, including two years as principal trombone of the Bromley Youth Symphony Orchestra and a year as the cellist in a quintet led by clarinetist Emma Johnson. Following a change of musical focus, Patrick has been performing and recording professionally, on both guitar and bass guitar, for more than 30 years. On guitar, he performs regularly with Hidden Agenda, a seven-piece soul, funk and disco band, as well as with various jazz ensembles. He also spent six years as the lead guitarist for Bootleg Blondie, the UK’s top Blondie tribute act. As a bass guitarist, he has performed in a wide variety of genres, including extensive experience of musical theatre, pop, rock, funk and soul. In the field of jazz, as well as leading his own ensembles, he has worked with such notable musicians as Dame Cleo Laine, Tim Garland and the late Sir John Dankworth.

Patrick has taught guitar and bass guitar professionally for eight years, and teaches both privately and at Queen Anne’s School in Caversham. He has been teaching at Shiplake College since 2009.

Laura Reineke (Violin)

Laura has more than 30 years experience in classical music, having studied at Trinity College of Music, London. She has taught in many local schools and has over 20 years experience teaching individuals and groups. She truly believe that music and the arts in general should be accessible to all, all-inclusive and fun, and with this in mind founded Henley Music School, which she continues to devote her time to.

Lynne Roper (Voice)

Lynne Roper combines her joint professional backgrounds of Solo Singer and Educational Psychologist in developing Shiplake College students' vocal technique and increasing their confidence in performing and in communicating optimally with audiences. Focusing on developing 'the whole performer', Lynne draws on her psychological knowledge of the learning process and child and adolescent development in goal-setting and tailored lessons. Having studied classical singing with  Pat McMahon of The Royal Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow, and Jean Allister of The Guildhall, Lynne has performed as a professional soloist in oratorio, operetta and with the Scottish Fiddle Orchestra, on radio, TV and in international concert halls. She has also appeared as a soloist for gospel choirs and sung jazz and soul in cabaret settings. This diversity of genres provides Lynne with practical experience and technical knowledge in most singing styles, and credibility with students.

Elias Sibley (Guitar)

Information about Elias Sibley will be added here shortly.

Hamish Stewart (Drums)

Hamish Stewart specialises in Drum Kit and Latin Percussion. He has been playing professionally since 1968 and, in addition to leading his own bands, he has worked as a freelance and session musician. He joined the Savoy Orpheans Band at the Savoy Hotel in London as resident drummer for five years and has done radio broadcasts and made several TV appearances such as BBC's Live in Concert, Channel 4's Cold Chips and Granada's What's On. He has worked as a producer/arranger for Decca, and written and performed the music for documentary films such as the BBC Omnibus production Seeds of a New Life. He was signed to United Artists Records with the band Kingdom, who went on to co- headline a gig at London's Olympia with Black Sabbath and Status Quo. Hamish has performed and/or recorded with artists from many different musical backgrounds: Michael Nyman, Brian Eno, Pete Wingfield, Gordon Beck, Ramon Boucher, Dee Dee Warwick, Shusha, Dave Defries, Jerome Rimson, Mo Foster, Ian Stewart, Bob Stewart, Herbie Flowers, Art Themen, Mick Wayne, Phil Braithwaite, Lawrie Wright, Geoff Hawkins and Harry Kakouli.

John Watts (Trombone, French Horn and Tuba)

John Watts began his brass-playing journey on the tenor horn followed by euphonium before eventually settling on the tuba aged 16. John studied at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama in Cardiff where he performed with all of the top college ensembles and orchestras. During his time there he won the Linda Mowat Brass Prize, an award from the Wolfson Foundation and a coveted place on the BBC National Orchestra of Wales placement scheme. Since graduating in 2003 John has gone on to gain a Licentiate from the Royal Schools of Music with Distinction.

John teaches all brass instruments to students of all ages. He works for Berkshire Maestros and conducted the County Youth Brass Band from 2007 – 2013. John plays with many local groups and is the tuba player in the Chiltern Brass Quintet. He has also worked on a variety of other musical projects including two Urban Orchestra programmes which fused classical and contemporary musical genres. In 2014 John and Paul wrote a Foundation in Brass Teaching course which they delivered to some of the more experienced brass players from Mlisada in August. It was an extremely rewarding and inspirational two weeks and has further enhanced his understanding of the amazing work that Brass for Africa does.

Dan Western (Drums)

Dan began playing drums at the age of ten and currently has twenty years of experience of performing. He has performed in a broad range of bands over the years in a variety of different musical settings including rock, pop, jazz, funk, latin, big band and musical theatre.

Dan is currently the house band drummer for the ‘Let’s Rock 80’s’ festivals which sees him regularly perform with Belinda Carlisle, Jason Donovan, Jimmy Sommerville and Paul Young amongst others. He also drums for former Haircut 100 star, and now solo artist Nick Hayward.

Since 2008 he has taken fortnightly tuition with Bob Armstrong, the UK’s leading drum tutor.