The Old Viking Society Gap Year and Alumni Fund is available to current Year 13 pupils and Old Vikings. There is up to £500 available for volunteering projects, further education or cultural enrichment trips.
The funds are allocated annually and the closing date for applications is Monday 12 March 2018.
2016 bursary recipient Cam Whitelaw went to Cambodia and produced a video to promote the Alumni Bursary Fund and showcase his time volunteering in a school there.
Applicants must complete the online form before Monday 12 March 2018.
All shortlisted candidates will then be invited to give a two/three-minute presentation outlining their proposal, which will include their plans and how the fund will assist them.
Conditions of Award
- There must be evidence of a requirement for the fund: specific elements of a project must be outlined in the application
- The project must benefit either the wider community or the applicant him/herself
- The project must have a beneficial element, either to education, or welfare, or cultural enrichment
- The project does not have to take place abroad; projects planned for the UK are also welcome
- All applicants who are awarded the sum must be willing to return to the College to give a presentation to current Year 13s, and be happy to be photographed for the Old Viking Society magazine and/ or any other Shiplake College PR material as requested
- You can only enter one proposal per year for the fund. However, there is no limit on how many times you can enter for the fund in subsequent years: if you are awarded the proposal once whilst you are still in Year 13, for example, then future applications from you when you are an Old Viking would still be welcomed. Please note that each application must be for a different project
- The fund will not cover living and accommodation costs for those going to university or further education
- You may apply for some or all of the fund available
- The OVS will not necessarily award you the full amount for which you have applied. The fund can be split as the Committee see fit
- If you are shortlisted, it does not mean that you will receive all or any of the fund
- The project needs to be happening within the next year
- Confirmation and proof of the booking are required if you are awarded the fund