Rugby Report - Week 5

Shiplake 1st XV recorded their second win in as many years against a strong St Edward's outfit away from home. Shiplake started the match off well, controlling the possession and territory for much of the first half, however a number of unforced handling errors prevented Shiplake from scoring. St Edward's capitalised on opportunities they were given and Shiplake found themselves trailing 0-12, against the grain of play. A deft kick-through by Teddy Hewins gave Tom Howe an opportunity to show his pace and score under the posts bringing the score to 7-12. A potentially serious neck injury sustained by Nick Arbuckle forced a (much needed) break in play in the 26°C heat. The match was moved to another pitch, and with this, Shiplake found themselves 7-12 down with 21 minutes left to play. A rejuvenated Shiplake stole the scrum restart against the head with captain Matt Thomas leading from the front. Shiplake cleared their 22m and with this Tom Howe scooped up the ball to secure his second try of the day after an excellent solo run. St Edward's kept the pressure on, and after 3 minutes camped on the Shiplake 5m line, St Edward's were awarded a penalty in front of the posts, which was converted taking the score to 12-15. Shiplake responded well, and with 4 minutes left, Jimmy Wright bundled over to take the score to 17-15. Straight from kick off, after some quick hands, Nick Pearce found a gap in the weakening defence to score the last try of the game which gave the victory to Shiplake for another year, final score 22-15. Elsewhere Shiplake showed strength in depth, with the 2nd XV recording a win against a strong St Edward's 2nd XV.

The weakened U16's (after suffering a number of injuries midweek) recorded two losses to a strong U16 St Edward's year group.

The U15A's continued their fine form notching up another victory, their 3rd of the season. The U15B team can be commended on an excellent performance against a good St Edward's outfit.

The U14B team can be described as 'team of the moment' under the tutelage of Mr Howorth. The boys have not conceded a point in nearly 2hrs of rugby, an excellent feat and something the boys should be very proud of. The strength in depth in the U14 group showed when the U14C team had a close 7-12 loss down on the Riverside pitches.