On Monday 15 September, Shiplake College will undertake it’s biennial 20 mile charity walk in aid of five charities put forward by the College Charities Committee.
With well over 400 students and staff taking part in the walk from Moulsford to Shiplake along the River Thames, we are hoping to raise a lot of money through sponsorship in order to be able to support these0 five very worthy causes. The last walk raised close to £20,000 which would be a great target to try and beat this time around.
Remarkably, some pupils decide walking the distance is an insufficient challenge and instead decide to run over three quarters of a marathon. They certainly deserve even greater sponsorship!
The charities being supported are:
- Thames Valley and Chiltern Air Ambulance – some of our boys know just how valuable this service is in our region, especially when called out to an emergency on the rugby pitches. Shiplake College very much values the care and service that TVACAA provides and are pleased to be supporting such a vital emergency service.
- Sue Ryder – the care offered by the Sue Ryder hospice provides great comfort not only to the patients but also to families and friends. Many members of the college and local community will have been touched by the support given by the Sue Ryder hospice and it seems fitting that we support them in return.
- Gap Africa – a charity much supported over the years by Shiplake College. Gap Africa is run by Marcel and Sally Wagner who have been associated with Shiplake for many years and still lead the expedition society trips to Kenya. As part of the trip, students visit schools in the Kikundu region where money is desperately needed for resources and buildings.
- Children on the Edge – this charity supports children in developing countries that are living on the edge of society. For a society that has so much, it seems right to support those who have so little.
- Chiltern Centre – a fantastic local charity that offers quality care to children and young adults with disabilities as well as support for their families. Shiplake has had a long association with the Chiltern Centre and we are pleased to offer this continued support.
Sponsorship forms are being handed out by Housemasters in the first week of term. In the meantime, digital copies are available below. With just under two months to go until the event, we hope that everybody will be able to collect a good amount in sponsorship. All donations can be gift aided as long as the donor confirms they are a UK tax payer.
Please click here to download a sponsorship form.
Payments can be made via cash or cheques made payable to Shiplake College. Please return completed sponsorship forms along with the money to Housemasters or the School Office.