Close

Many thanks to @Squadkit for bringing Jason White down to Shiplake to coach the U18 and U16 boys today. The boys loved it! @Scotlandteam https://t.co/oGB7s8dpbG Posted about 6 hours ago
Search:

INTERNATIONAL ADMISSIONS

Shiplake College welcome applications from international students across the globe. Our international pupils, including a balance of British and non-British students resident abroad represent approximately 5% of the current school population. International applications are permitted into all year groups, but the majority of pupils usually join at Year 9 (13+), Year 10 (14+) or Year 12 (16+).

Pupils arriving from all nations and continents soon become fully integrated into Shiplake’s inclusive and welcoming environment. Pupils for whom English is an additional language are offered specialist tuition to improve their verbal and written communication. This is essential to excel in the British education system. However, all pupils must have a reasonable level of fluency upon arrival at Shiplake and therefore all non-native English speakers are assessed as part of the interview process and again on their arrival at the College to ensure that we can offer the appropriate provision for their needs.

Boarding at Shiplake

International boarders are fully integrated into the College community. Our small size and inclusive nature ensures all individuals receive the attention they deserve. With less than 10% of boarders arriving from overseas, the boarding lifestyle offers pupils a valuable opportunity to become fully immersed in the English language and culture. Many students take the opportunity to stay with their school friends during Exeat weekends, an indication of the strength of the bonds formed by boarding.  

More information about boarding at Shiplake, including details of our new weekend activity programme, can be found here

Contact

Parents and pupils based outside the UK interested in joining Shiplake College are encouraged to contact Keith Settle, Director of Boarding Admissions, to discuss their application. Since joining Shiplake, Keith has held many roles including Housemaster and teacher of Mathematics. With a wealth of experience, Keith is happy to guide you through the process of applying for an international boarding place at Shiplake and is a good source of advice for all questions regarding boarding and admissions.

To get in touch with Keith, please email ksettle@shiplake.org.uk or call +44 (0) 1189 405 217.

International Application Process 

For entry into Year 9 or 10, pupils are expected to have a good understanding of the English language to enable them to access the curriculum. Students wishing to join the Sixth Form are required to have an advanced level of fluency and understanding. An equivalent of at least 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination is required.

An overseas student may be asked to sit EAL assessment papers and attend an interview either at the College or via Skype before a place is offered. However, along with many other top independent schools in the UK, Shiplake College is also participating in a new entrance test called UKiset - the UK Independent Schools' Entry Test.

UKiset is an adaptive online test taken in English, which has been designed to support admission into the UK independent education system. UKiset tests a child's underlying academic abilities through four principal reasoning areas - Non-Verbal Reasoning, Spatial Ability, Verbal Reasoning, and Quantitative Ability - together with a creative writing piece.

If you wish your child to be considered for a place at Shiplake College, please go to the UKiset website to register your child by completing the Student Profile Form. Please list Shiplake on the form and provide as much information as possible, because this will be sent to us and used in conjunction with their UKiset results to assess their application.

Register for UKiset 

Once you have completed the form, the UKiset Team will contact you with details of your closest test centre and the next available test date (UKiset can be taken at approved test centres in over 130 countries worldwide). After your child has taken the test and we have received their UKiset Profile Package we will make a decision as to whether or not we wish to take their application further. If we are happy to pursue the application we will at that point require our registration fee to be paid (£100), request an interview via Skype and seek the school references, reports and any additional information relevant to your child's application

If your child has already taken UKiset and you would like their results to be sent to Shiplake College, please click here to complete the School Selection Form.

Guardianship 

As with all other independent schools in the UK, international students at Shiplake College must have a UK-based guardian if their parents are living abroad. We recommend that applicants without privately arranged guardians contact Bright World Guardianships. Bright World is a well established and fully AEGIS accredited company who will take on the important role of guardian to your child while they are studying in the UK. The company offers a total care package throughout their study period, and find a host family for pupils to stay with during holiday periods where they have to leave the College.

For further information, please contact our admissions team or visit the Bright World website.

5% of the College population is made up of International Students.
Pupils arriving from all nations and continents soon become fully integrated into Shiplake’s inclusive and welcoming environment.