Shiplake College aims to provide a friendly, supportive and structured environment in which pupils can flourish. We are convinced that every pupil has something valuable to offer and that it is our duty to find it.
We encourage pupils to:
- Realise their full potential, whatever their ability
- Be challenged by a wide range of educational opportunities, both within the curriculum and outside it
- Achieve a measure of personal success in at least one area of school life
We aim to give the time, guidance and support to enable every pupil to develop the confidence and self-esteem to:
- Lead a full and responsible life in both work and play
- Respect the needs of others and exercise tolerance, compassion and humility
- Understand the meaning of service and selflessness
- Appreciate the meaning of Christian values
We aim to develop a range of personal qualities that will enable pupils to become confident, committed and co-operative members of society by:
- Providing a culture based around the "Shiplake Seven" (Curiosity, Open-Mindedness, Reflection, Determination, Motivation, Independence, Creativity)
- Providing a structured environment which challenges pupils to cultivate an ordered life, to accept personal responsibility and to form the values and habits that permit discovery and ethical pursuit of their own highest purpose.
- Stimulating their interest, enjoyment, curiosity and concern about the environment.
- Enabling them to become familiar with the skills, knowledge, principles and vocabulary of their subjects.
- Stimulating creativity and innovation.
- Developing the ability to play an articulate and informed role in their society.
- Developing skills that will enable the making of reasoned decisions about the implications of what they learn and experience.
- Providing opportunities designed to increase self-esteem and self confidence.
- Teaching the importance of a sense of humour together with humility
- Providing a sports programme that encourages and develops life-long personal fitness and character through a variety of team and individual opportunities.
- Providing an arts programme that encourages and supports self-discovery and creative expression in music, visual arts and theatre.