Shiplake Court is Purchased
In the 17 July 1958 edition of Country Life, estate agents Knight, Frank & Rutley advertised Shiplake Court for sale.
The advertisement included the description of a 'Fine mansion with 25 acres and 3 cottages, occupying a glorious situation on a hill facing south with extensive views down one of the prettiest upper reaches of the River Thames. The house was build regardless of cost and is in good order.
The grounds include terraced garden, tennis and croquet lawns, hard tennis court, wild garden with walks to the river and boathouse, kitchen garden, orchard, meadowland, island.'
It also promoted having main electric light, power and water, central heating, a separate hot water system and modern drainage.
The BBC had bought Shiplake Court in 1941 from the executors of Lord Wargrave, who had lived there from 1925-1936.
Alexander and Eunice Everett bought Shiplake Court from the BBC for £17,500 in December 1958, with the intention of opening a school there. Their purchase included the 44-room mansion (Skipwith House) with a stable and garage block and everything described in the advertisement.
In today's money, that is the equivalent of almost £400,000.00- the Everetts got a first-rate bargain!