Close

Loading tweet...
Search:

LAMDA

At Shiplake we offer pupils the opportunity to take up LAMDA (London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art) classes. They are open to students across all year groups and help to improve confidence as well as communication and performance skills. Students can gain a well-established grades based qualification and for Grade 6 and above they count towards UCAS points for university entry.

LAMDA at Shiplake

LAMDA lessons are available in Communication, Acting and Public Speaking throughout the year during term time. They are 30 minutes long and normally take place on Fridays (rotated so that students do not miss the same academic lesson each week). Lessons can be in pairs (£16 each) or private (£26 per session).

To register your interest please complete this form

At Shiplake, examination days are run at Easter, Christmas or in the summer term, giving the students plenty of time to prepare in the correct manner.

About LAMDA

LAMDA is an awarding organisation which aims to deliver internationally recognised qualifications in communication and performance while inspiring young people through examinations in Drama, Literacy and Poetry. LAMDA believes that Drama has the power to transform lives and wants to share their experience through training, qualifications, work, productions and facilities. 

LAMDA has provided theatre and the world of film and television with generation upon generation of first-class actors and expertly trained stage managers across the world. In addition to be the UK’s largest statutory speech and drama awarding body, LAMDA Examinations has a reputation for excellence across the globe. Its mission is to:

• Improve standards in communication through the spoken word
  • Foster an appreciation of literature, poems and drama
  • Acknowledge levels of achievement
  • Support the creative, intellectual and social development of the individual

Pupils at Shiplake College can work as solos, duos or small groups and choose from a variety of Graded skills including:

• Acting
  • Verse & Prose
  • Shakespeare
  • Speaking in Public
  • Devising

LAMDA examinations are designed to equip candidates, whatever their age or aspirations, with a range of skills that will serve them throughout life. Pupils will develop confidence to present themselves with clarity and expression. As well as specific performance skills, pupils will gain a broad knowledge and appreciation of plays and literature to support core education, and will hopefully find lessons fun, practical and empowering.

At Shiplake College pupils have the choice to take LAMDA examinations on site, which are graded up to Grade 8 Gold medal. Medal grades (6, 7 & 8) carry valuable UCAS points, and classes can be used as skills for Duke of Edinburgh

Options in LAMDA will be discussed in classes and tailored to give pupils best possible outcomes for progress, confidence and skills.  

• Level 1 covers Grades 1 to 3: These are a great starting place for those new to Acting and LAMDA, giving all the fundamental skills needed. 
  • Level 2 covers Grades 4 & 5: These exams require more knowledge of text and theory, as well as the core performance skills from Level 1. Pieces are slightly longer and new challenges are designed to further skills and knowledge.
  • Level 3 covers Medals: Grades 6 Bronze, Grade 7 Silver, Grade 8 Gold: These all carry UCAS points (Distinction Gold carries 30 UCAS points) and each one is more challenging in terms of content and knowledge. Gold Medal Acting, for example, is three acting pieces, plus in-depth verbal answers on a chosen practitioner, characterisation processes, and knowledge of a chosen play. Pupils receive a certificate and a metal pin LAMDA medal for all medal exams. 

There is currently no written theory on LAMDA. It is all done verbally in a question and answer session at the end after performing.

LAMDA Information Booklet

LAMDA Teacher

Mrs Amber Lucazeau graduated from Guildford School of Acting (3 Year Acting) and worked professionally in the industry for 25 years with leading roles in theatre (West End, regional and touring theatres), television, commercials and voice overs under her professional Equity name (Amber Edlin). She has worked with some wonderful actors such as Dame Judi Dench and Sir Ian McKellen, and has been in a variety of productions and programmes from classical plays to modern comedies, soaps to TV drama. She has also worked as a children’s casting director and maintains good links to the industry, most recently casting the children in Gypsy and The Whistling for The Mill at Sonning Theatre. She has been teaching both children and adults LAMDA for many years in schools and she aims to share her passion for plays, literature, acting and communication to give her pupils a sense of achievement, creativity, fun and confidence in their work.

If you have any questions please contact Amber at [email protected].